Skip to main content

Q: Do I need to test baked products?

A: Most baked goods, candy, confections and dried foods--probably 95%--do not require product testing. The cooking, baking or drying process reduces water activity, placing it in the non-potentially hazardous food category. However, for any unusual products, mixing higher water activity products together, or adding low acid foods should be tested to verify it meets the pH or water activity parameter. 

You may choose a commercial testing lab that fits your needs. Pricing varies but the average pH test costs $15 per sample and water activity $30 per sample. These are a few labs in Minnesota or you can use out-of-state labs. 

For product questions, email

Print Friendly and PDF