Skip to main content

Q: Who do I contact to make sure it's okay to operate a home-based food business?

A:  A local zoning ordinance may prohibit the use of a home for cottage food production operations. You need to contact your local planning and zoning local authorities about any additional licensing or permitting and zoning concerns for home-based food business.

Your cottage food business falls under 28A.152 food licensing exemption governed by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA). MDA has regulatory authority of this law and handles implementation and registrations. Local health departments are not handling registrations but you may want to contact the local or state health department to discuss ideas beyond cottage food.

Print Friendly and PDF