Skip to main content

Q: Can cottage food products cross state borders?

 A: Acid and acidified canned foods (such as pickles, salsa, sauerkraut, BBQ sauce) cannot cross state borders due to federal restrictions on interstate movement of these foods. Minnesota's Cottage Food Law includes language requiring that acid and acidified canned products be made in Minnesota. 

Baked items, dried items, high-sugar items like fruit-based jams and jellies, and other low water activity items allowed as cottage foods can cross state borders if both states' laws are followed: the state where the product is made, and the state where the product is sold. A producer bringing baked or other low water activity foods into Minnesota from another state must be registered with the MN Department of Agriculture as a MN Cottage Food Producer.

Source: Jane Jewett, Associate Director, Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture, September 8, 2021

Print Friendly and PDF